We can all agree that actually wanting to wake up in the morning is a rare occurrence. But what if your house smelled like warm, freshly baked oatmeal cookies? That may be enough to have you walking—or should we say running—out of bed in the a.m.
Luckily, that delicious smell isn’t too good to be true. In addition to smelling like pure yumminess, this nutritious overnight oatmeal recipe offers ample health benefits.
Here are just a few perks of eating oats:
- They provide ample vitamins and nutrients, including: fiber, protein, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, folate and Vitamin B1 and B5.
- They’re filled with antioxidants and polyphenols, which support healthy blood pressure and fight inflammation.
- They have an extremely potent type of soluble fiber (aka: Beta-Glucan), which can help to reduce cholesterol and blood sugar, while boosting fullness and supporting gut health.
Believe it or not, oats are just the start of all the health-filled ingredients in this tasty recipe; let’s not forget about the flaxseeds, cinnamon and fresh fruit. You just know it’s going to be an awesome day when you start off eating something this good:
- Spray oil
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- *Fresh fruit (this will be for topping)
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with oil
- Put all ingredients into slow cooker
- Cook on low for eight hours
- Top with your favorite fresh fruit
Food for thought.
In addition to eating a healthy, balanced diet rich in essential vitamins and nutrients, don’t forget about the importance of getting routine exercise, relieving stress and keeping up with your primary care provider, all of which will ensure lasting health and wellness. To schedule an appointment with the health care expert that knows you and your unique health needs best, visit gwinnettmedicalgroup.com/pcpscheduling.